Thursday, September 06, 2007

One Of These Kids Is Doing His Own Thing...

The CP takes a look at all 30 NHL teams as training camps get ready to open, and while it's always nice to read any positive press about the Caps ("the sleeper team of the conference" has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?), there's something in their Caps snippet that tempers my enthusiasm a bit. See if you can pick it out:
After three years of rebuilding and three years near the bottom of the standings, the Caps believe they've got a team on the rise. The additions of top centre Michael Nylander, defenceman Tom Poti and forward Viktor Kozlov via free agency plus the arrival of highly touted rookie forward Nicklas Backstrom bolsters a Caps team with a young and emerging core led by Alexander Ovechkin, Alexander Semin and Steve Eminger. And of course one of the league's top netminders Olaf Kolzig covers the back end. We see the sleeper team of the conference here. A playoff spot is not out of the question.
I guess when you're a former #12 overall pick entering your fifth NHL season, the assumption is that you're leading an emerging core, even if you're a healthy scratch for long stretches at a time.

It's a shame, because everything else in that paragraph sounds so encouraging.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dunno if it "tempers my enthusiasm" or just leads me to believe that the writer really doesn't know what he's talking about. Do your homework. Pierre!

JP said...

Well that's why it tempers my enthusiasm - it's hard to get excited about praise coming from a source that shows its overall ignorance on the subject.

keydet said...

You know, I think part of Emminger's problem is he was expected to grow, but he didn't have to put everything he had into developing after he got drafted to play in the NHL. I mean look at his past- he started in the NHL the year he was drafted. He didn't do any purgatory and development time in the AHL until he had already made it to the big show, and even then he was only in Portland for half the season. Technically, yes he should be a fast developing core member of the Caps, but he didn't have to put forth the extra effort to grow in order to reach the NHL in the first place. I hate to say it, but I firmly believe that Emminger's lack luster performance is a result of moving him up too fast. Unless he has a come-to-jesus revelation, I think he's going to remain subpar.

Anonymous said...

I think he goes out boozing too much.

JP said...

@ keydet: I agree that he was rushed to the show and not properly mentored, but I think he can still turn into a solid defenseman. Unfortunately, I have my doubts as to whether or not that can/will happen in D.C.

Btw, I haven't seen a complete list of the vets who've been back in town skating at Kettler over the past few days, but wouldn't you think that if you were Steve Eminger, you'd make sure you were one of 'em? Of all the names I have seen mentioned, his has not been one of them.

Anonymous said...

capschick had a list, i think he was on it