Washington is finally healthy heading into tonight's game with Toronto, and both teams are looking to improve their respective playoff positioning. Unfortunately, that's the preview for tonight's Wizards/Raptors game. Back to the world of hockey, we've got a March matchup of teams on the outside looking in at the playoff picture, with the Caps needing binoculars to see it.
Rather than pour my heart and soul into a preview, I'll just note that Mike Green has been recalled and predict that the Caps pull the upset at the ACC tonight (how's that for in-depth analysis?).
As for other Caps news, Ted Leonsis is sticking to the rebuilding plan, but acknowledges that now's the time to start filling in gaps with free agents:
"Payroll will be increased," Leonsis said, "as will financial losses. We will fill holes, and add depth and skill, some additional veteran leadership.That's encouraging, no?
"We must keep improving without changing the culture and core of the team that is still young and developing. But it is time now for us to plug the holes in our lineup. We will use all means to improve. We have lots of assets to help us come trade time in offseason."
Finally, be sure to check out Vogs on the road working the ECHL circuit. It's a good read, and great to hear what seems to be positive news (at least off-ice) about Caps prospect Viktor Dovgan.
- Hart: Matt Cullen (Game-winning shootout goal, assist, +1, 4 SOG in 2-1 win)
- Ross: Matt Cullen, Petr Prucha, Jed Ortmeyer, Tom Poti, Marc-Andre Bergeron, Jason Blake (1 point each)
- Norris: Marc-Andre Bergeron (A, 3 SOG, 3 blocked shots)
- Vezina: Rick DiPietro (56 saves on 57 shots against in 2-1 shootout loss)
- Richard: Jason Blake, Petr Prucha (1G each)
- Calder: Daniel Girardi (played in the game)
- Aiken: Frederick Meyer IV (-1, 0 points, 0 SOG, sissy name)