The long and the short of it is that Wilson is D.C.'s only public high school with a varsity hockey team and following the loss of their coach last winter to pneumonia, the program is on the verge of being dissolved (more details can be found over at OFB).
In an effort to help out a little bit, a group of bloggers (led by OFB) is hosting a fundraiser this coming Friday night at Clyde's of Gallery Place. For $10 a head, you can help out a great cause AND have a good shot at some great prizes (including items signed by Caps and Hershey Bears players).
So come on out for a good time, a good cause and maybe, just maybe, a Caps win.
Elsewhere 'Round the Rinks:
Happy 22nd Birthday to Jeff Schultz.... Don't go over to Mirtle's site and vote on who should win Coach of the Year (he blamed me for Alex Ovechkin running away with the Hart in his last poll).... "Major bonus points" for Caps fans.... Finally, one year ago today we recapped a Caps/Devils game (how 'bout that?), noted a silly trade rumor from a silly rumor-monger, and looked at the market values of Dainius Zubrus and blueliners.
- Hart: Teemu Selanne (3G, 2A, +3, 2 SOG)
- Ross: Teemu Selanne (5 points)
- Norris: Marek Malik (G, A, +2, 2 SOG)
- Vezina: Ilya Bryzgalov (35-save shutout win)
- Richard: Teemu Selanne (3G)
- Calder: Jonathan Toews (3A, 2 SOG)
- Aiken: Patrick Lalime (L, 5 goals allowed on 25 shots against in 48:38 of work)