- He's a legitimate first-line center and more talented than anyone currently on the roster at that position.
- He will cost significantly less than other top centers on the market.
- He has some chemsitry already with Alex Ovechkin (recall the Turin Olympics).
- He wouldn't have the huge contract or the burden of the captaincy to live up to.
- A change of scenery likely would do him good.
- He's Alexei Yashin.
UPDATE (6/6, 7:16 pm): OK, I've made up (changed?) my mind and am now firmly in the "no at any cost" camp after reading this:
The rumblings around the National Hockey League was that [Ryan] Smyth would listen to the Islanders proposals, but he had no intention in re-signing there because of his disdain for Yashin and his lethargic ways.If the guy's such a disease that free agents won't even consider signing where he's playing, I certainly wouldn't want him on my team. Let someone else roll the dice - someone who can afford to swing and miss (to mix metaphors).