Tonight at the Verizon Center the Caps get their last chance this season to beat the worst team in the NHL, a team against whom they enter the night 0-3-0 having been outscored 19-8 on the campaign. The Pens are coming off a tough overtime loss at home last night, so if there was ever a time to get 'em, it'd be tonight in [fill in the blank]'s last game in a Capitals sweater.
Speaking of those who may or may not be dealt, the WaPo gives us the lowdown, focusing on the possibility of the captain being traded. The WTimes hits on a similar theme, but also tells us that Alex Ovechkin sat out of yesterday's practice and will get some more rest down the stretch so that he doesn't hit the dreaded wall (not that I wouldn't expect him to smash right through it even if he did).
Thread of the Day: Jeff Schultz [Caps D prospect] Hockey's Future Article (3/7): Developing in the WHL
Elsewhere 'round the rinks:
- Happy Birthday to Hall of Fame defenseman and former Cap Larry Murphy, born on this day in 1961. Murphy had an incredible career in terms of longevity, statistics and accomplishments, but he'll always get the "whoop whoop" around here.
- Other former NHLers celebrating birthdays include former Cap Craig Johnson (b. 1972), former Cap Rob Zettler (b. 1968), former Cap Mike Lalor (b. 1963), and Brent Fedyk (b. 1967). Current (I think) NHLer Bob Boughner (b. 1971) is also a birthday boy today.
- Per TSN.ca, "[t]he Dallas Stars are 9-0, and Jussi Jokinen is 9-for-9, in shootouts this season after Tuesday night's win in Edmonton." Bonus shootout statistic: Joe Sakic is now 0-for-6 in shootouts, but is 4-for-4 on penalty shots in his career. Go figure.
- Hart: Tomas Kaberle (Goal, 3 assists, +1)
- Ross: Tomas Kaberle (4 points)
- Norris: Dan Boyle (2 goals, assist, +2, 4 shots on goal, hit, blocked shot)
- Vezina: Rick DiPietro (30 saves on 31 shots in shootout win)
- Richard: Dan Boyle, Mike Comrie, Wes Walz, David Legwand, Andy McDonald (2 goals each)
- Calder: Sidney Crosby (Goal, assist, +1, 5 shots on goal, blocked shot)
- Aiken: Manny Legace (Loss, 5 goals against on 24 shots)
Post a Comment