Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sigh... Forbes

Forbes' annual rankings of NHL franchise values is out, and rather than reinvent the wheel (why should I when they still have the old logo on their Caps page?), I'll just cut and paste what I wrote last year (which was pretty much what I'd written the year before):

"Forbes has updated its valuations of the NHL's 30 teams and the Caps are in just about the same place on that list as they are in the standings, but I wouldn't worry about that too much. As I wrote when Forbes compiled the same list last year, the most valuable franchises are those whose owners also own the arenas in which the team plays, co-habitating NBA franchises, etc. Since the Caps are renters and Ted Leonsis et. al. don't yet own the Wiz, it's not surprising that they'd be way down the list. Some day, however, Lincoln Holdings will own the building and the 'Zards, and the Caps will skyrocket up the list."

Why Forbes doesn't consider assets such as the option to buy an NBA team and/or the arena is beyond me.

4 comments:

Marky Narc said...

I noticed they have Ron Wilson listed as San Jose's coach instead of Toronto's... ah well. It's Forbes. What can you do?

Jack Hazard said...

Forbes and Esquire seem like the only two magazines worth reading these days, though I'd give the edge to Esquire.
In a world where sports magazines are dominated with articles about Kobe's new shoelaces, I'll stick with the blogosphere, and the blogosphere only.

MacVechkin, fka JR said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MacVechkin, fka JR said...

Implementing something like this certainly would help the value of the franchise.

http://thebiglead.com/wp-content/
uploads/2008/10/235_hockey.jpg