So... um... Pens tonight, eh?
If the Caps are to win, they'll need to be physical yet disciplined and take advantage of a somewhat vulnerable Penguins penalty kill. But you knew that. Here's some of what you might not have known about the Caps, the Pens and tonight's game:
- To date, the Caps have four defensemen with more than one point, and only five forwards with a similar distinction. Chris Clark, Matt Pettinger, David Steckel, Donald Brashear and Shaone Morrisonn have each played in all six games thus far this season without registering a single point, while Tomas Fleischmann and Milan Jurcina each have only one point in six games.
- Further to that last point, the Caps haven't scored as many as four goals in a game since March 18, a span of 15 games. To say that the Caps are awaiting an offensive awakening is an understatement.
- Pens netminder Marc-Andre Fleury has been wretched so far this season, and sports a 2-3-0 record with a 4.11 goals against average and a .871 save percentage. Of course, for his career, he's 5-0-0, 2.17, .932 against the Caps, so if a pourous MAF shows up at Verizon tonight, it will be an unfamiliar sight for the boys in white.
- As an Islander last year, Viktor Kozlov had 4 goals and 4 assists in eight games against the Pens.
Why The Penguins Will Win:
"The Verizon Center is like a second home for Pens fans, so look for the strong Pittsburgh crowd to power the Pens to victory. Oh, and having Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin doesn't hurt either." - Penguins BuzzElsewhere 'Round the Rinks:
"One huge factor is the Pens fans presence down there. It is going to be a awesome enviroment. The Pens will feed off that. This one smells like a OT thriller." - thepensblog.com
"The Pens are struggling with a new identity right now, but in the past, the Penguins have always routed the Capitals to find confidence in their game plan. Plus, a lot of Penguins fans always make the road trip so the atmosphere will be like a home game." - Confessions of a Hockey Fanatic
"The Penguins win this game because of secondary scoring. Max Talbot, Adam Hall, and the rest of the teams role players have stepped up in a big way. Look for Marc-Andre Fleury to bounce back in the pipes and the scoring to come from some unlikely sources." - Faceoff Factor
"Simply put...the Pens own the Caps. They have the firepower, the grit and we all remember those playoff series' in the last decade..." - Home of the Penguins
I wonder if the Caps have heard from Phoenix's lawyers regarding tonight's "White Out."
- Hart: Patrick Kane (G, 2A, +1, 3 SOG)
- Ross: Patrick Kane, Petr Sykora (3 points each)
- Norris: Jack Johnson (G, +1, 2 SOG, 3 hits)
- Vezina: Pascal Leclaire (21-save shutout win)
- Richard: Petr Sykora (2G)
- Calder: Patrick Kane (G, 2A, +1, 3 SOG)
- Aiken: Jaroslav Hlinka (0 points, -3)