Monday, August 27, 2007

Varlamov Takes The Blame After 4-2 Loss

Thanks to Dmitry Chesnokov for translating and forwarding the following interview with Simeon Varlamov, the losing goaltender in today's 4-2 loss to Canada in Game 1 of the Super Series.

Sovetsky Sport reporter Vladislav Domrachev spoke to a few players after the first game of the Superseries-2 between Canadian and Russian junior hockey teams in Ufa. The faces of Russian players read "It's the end of the world." But the Caps prospect Simeon Varlamov had the courage to say a few words.

- Simeon, what happened?

- I shouldn't have let in so many [Varlamov replies with anger in his voice]. Three out of four goals are on me. And the first one turned everything upside down! How did I not stop that one? The shot came from a sharp angle, and the puck squeezed between my pads. Even the penalty shot I should have stopped. I was so close.

- Was the penalty shot [the right call]? The Canadian player [Kyle] Turris managed to get a shot on goal after Igor Zubov brought him down. Usually it is only a penalty call.

- I also think that the penalty shot should not have been called. But [Vyacheslav] Bulanov [the referee] made the decision in favor of the Canadians.

- Did you breathe easy in the new arena?

- We started to get out of breath at the end of the first period. It was very hot on the ice. Afterwards in the locker room I wrung out almost a bucket of water from my skates. But this is not an excuse. I must not have conceded those damned goals.

- But your partners did not create anything in the last 50 minutes?

- I can say it again: the first goal [I let in] broke them down.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Makes no excuses. Takes the blame (deserved or not). Tells it like it is. What more could you want in a teammate? Sounds like he has his head screwed on straight. That bodes well for the Caps should he make it to the team in the future.

bradley said...

It's always good to see such a young player step up like that, no doubt. Especially as a goalie, it's good that he recognizes the importance of his performance. More important, though, is that he be able to bounce back and not let the pressure damage his game. The last thing we need is for him to have a mental breakdown that would sour his development; here's hoping he comes back strong.