The Caps are back to winning and I'm back to writing. Coincidence? Yesterday afternoon the Caps continued their home ownership of the defending Stanley Cup champs with a solid - if unspectacular - effort that began slowly (a four shot first period for the hosts) and finished up strong. For more postgame coverage from the two teams' hometown papers, head to the WaPo, WTimes, St. Pete Times (here and here) and Tampa Tribune (here and here). Phew.
In other NHL news:
- The Nashville Predators have acquired Mike Sillinger from the St. Louis Blues for a song. That song? "Here's a generic Russian prospect, enjoy" (I think it was on Bringing It All Back Home). For Sillinger, Nashville will be his 11th NHL team, which is a record.
- Hart: Olie Kolzig (W, 34 saves on 35 shots against)
- Ross: Roman Hamrlik (G, 2A)
- Norris: Roman Hamrlik (G, 2A, +2)
- Vezina: Olie Kolzig (W, 34 saves on 35 shots against)
- Richard: Seventeen players tied with one goal
- Calder: Dion Phaneuf (Game-winning goal, A, +2)
- Aiken: Adam Munro (L, 5 goals against on 29 shots)