I thought it would be a good idea to put up an open thread to discuss anything and everything trade-related - rumors, breaking news, whatever. It's your thread - have at it.
Caps Trade Tracker
- Richard Zednik to NYI for a 2007 second round pick
- "A good pick and pretty decent return for an underachieving player, who could walk in the summer for nothing. " - The Score
- Lawrence Nycholat to OTT for defenseman Andy Hedlund and a 2007 sixth round pick
- "Hedlund is a career minor leaguer who will shore up Hershey's blueline in the AHL. The sixth-round pick is also decent." - The Score
- Dainius Zubrus and Timo Helbling to BUF for Jiri Novotny and a 2007 first round pick
- "Novotny's potential, the inclusion of a first rounder and the uncertainty surrounding Zubrus beyond this season make this move a slam-dunk victory for the Capitals down the road." - The Score
- "Add Buffalo to the list of teams overpaying for proven talent. They can afford to, but Novotny is an NHL player and the Sabres were built on draft picks. Good for Washington, but Buffalo is going for the Cup." - Sportsnet
- Jamie Heward to LAK for a conditional
20072008 fifth roundpick
- WSH, BUF
- WSH, NYI
- WSH, NYR
- WSH, CGY
Smolinski to the 'Nucks. That's one less possible Zubie destination
Yeah, for a second round pick.
Tarik seems to think Zubie may come down to the wire. The fact that they're talking again makes me think it'll happen. My gut as of 5:30 Monday night? He stays.
I think the Modin numbers make it MUCH more likely he stays. Tucker and Modin become the comparisons.
It sounds like they're stuck on years, though, much moreso than dollars. If they're in the $3-$3.25 range, and one side says three years, the other says five... gee, I wish there was an easy, obvious compromise there.
I gotta go with GMGM here. Why give Zubie more than three? I'd prefer that the compromise be three and last-year leverage via a no-trade clause or something.
I dunno. I think if we fast-forward to the 2010-11 season and have Zubrus under contract at $3m per year, it might look like a bargain.
i hope youre right jp, i hope youre right
Just watching SportsNite....GMGM says one meeting left with Zubies agent tonight...they are hoping to keep him. Id love to know what Nycolat did to get in the dog house....but now thats Ottawas problem...
So Caps fans - a Hawks fan has to ask:
Do you feel that Zubrus will be traded by tomorrow?
OMG we just traded Nycholat for himself!
VAN gets Sopel, so there goes Heward to the Canucks out the window.
According to Larry Brooks (grain of salt, etc.):
"Glen Sather is said to have told potential trading partners that he’d consider trading Jagr if presented an offer that "'knocked him out.'"
You've got to think that by "knocked him out" he means "includes player(s) and/or rolls of stick tape." How interesting would that be, though?
Early candidate for quote of the day (from the TSN.ca article on the Nycholat trade):
STEAL FOR OTT! proof that the capitals know nothing about hockey and will be losers forever! Sens are the only team to improve their team for the long term and today by using the trade deadline. While others overpay, the sens have just added a great player and ripped off the Caps."
Man, who'd have guessed that there were Pens fans on the OTT boards?
I was wondering how the Sens "improve their team for the long term" by picking up a career minor-leaguer who's a UFA at year's end.
TSN.ca and Sportsnet.ca are sloooooooow. Every Canadian citizen must be on one of those two sites.
JP's gut feeling update: Zubie's gone (subject to change, but I think he's histoire).
TFP reports Zubrus is asking - 5yrs, 17M?! Oh - he will definitly be gone!
TSN is slow with updates anyway. IMHO Spector & Kukla's are better.
And you can always watch TSN's coverage via streaming video here.
1) Hard to guage what the potential return would be. The Caps do NOT need more draft picks unless those picks are used later to land an actual NHL player.
2) The VC it will have a strange feel without any players with a Z on thier backs in the line up.
1) latest rumor is Zubrus to the Isles to join Zednik? For a 1st rounder.
2) Would have preferred a young player like Neilsson or Bergenheim along with a pick IF this report has any validity
zubrus/eminger to rangers
details to come
if we get the same thing for zubrus that stlouis just got for guerin, we are F-ING IDIOTS!!
For Jagr? LOL
Where's Tyler to straighten out the Anonymice?
Seriously, that analogy from before was awesome. Tyler, JP just got Drury'd. Where's the help?
Now Eklund is saying Zubie to the Ducks
Zubie to Buffalo for 1st rounder and a prospect
I hear it's gonna be Zubie for Hrdina. But I've been hearing that for four years, so who knows.
Jiri Novotny. A center who may fit well with AO. Nice job GMGM!
Vogs says one more trade got in before the deadline... stay tuned.
Japers, nice blog. I stumbled upon this while on the Caps message boards.
I would like to just chime in and ask you all questions and possibly answer some of yours(since I dont have a real account with your forums).
First of all, is Zubrus more suited for Center or RW? Is he solid defensively? Good locker room guy? Physical?
And I would like to point out that Novotny doesn't have much potential for the NHL sadly. I had such high hopes for him and really wished he would make it. But to be honest, he won't last in the NHL past 26/27 years old. He's just not cut out for it. Poor work ethic and a bit lazy.
Hey, thanks for stopping by. To answer your questions (in my humble opinion):
* better suited at RW
* very solid defensively
* good locker room guy
* not nearly as physical as you'd want for a guy with his size
He's not physical in the sense he doesn't seek guys out, but he is physical in the sense that he uses his body and his frame effectively along the boards or while carrying the puck.
Defensively conscious: For teams that play a forward high in the offensive zone, he's a perfect plug-in.
And Buffalo could use him on the PK, which the Caps didn't.
Post a Comment