Oy. The Caps picked a helluva time to lay an egg, eh?
I don't know where to start with last night's team effort loss, so I won't. The bottom line is simply that an already small margin for error is now tiny and approaching Martin St. Louis-sized - if you buy into this statistical model, the Caps now have a 17.7% chance to make the playoffs, with a 5-1-1 finish giving them only a 61.7% shot at the post-season.
Tomorrow night in Atlanta the Caps will try to get things back on track. Every game from here on out is more or less an elimination game - let's see how they respond.
Elsewhere 'Round the Rinks:
You know who hates Bill McCreary? I mean, besides everyone? The Sens and their fans.... I'd love to know which coach is the jackass who dropped the second quote in this article, especially in light of the fact that 14 goals in 21 games is a 55+ goal pace.... Everyone knows that Josh Godfrey has a bomb of a shot.... Finally, one year ago today we took Dave Fay to task for a questionably titled article that only got worse from there, smacked around the Dallas Stars' owner for an aggressive display of mock outrage and took a peak at the Vezina race, and two years ago today we previewed that night's Caps/Habs game and threw some nice little nuggets your way.
- Hart: Jason Pominville (2G, 2A, +4)
- Ross: Jason Pominville (4 points)
- Norris: Mike Weber (+5, 5 hits, and in answer to your next question... Buffalo)
- Vezina: Nikolai Khabibulin (25-save shutout win)
- Richard: Henrik Zetterberg, Thomas Vanek (3G each)
- Calder: Jonathan Toews (G, 4 SOG)
- Aiken: Karri Ramo (L, 6 goals allowed on 31 shots against, 3 goal third period lead blown... thanks)