What better opponent for an '80s night mullet giveaway (be sure to check in with The Peerless for an in-depth history of the mullet) than Jaromir Jagr and the Rags, who may or may not show up in these uniforms?
The Rangers enter tonight's game dead last in the NHL in goals per game (2.13) but atop the League in goals against average (2.10). And yet they're 16-12-2 and have won 70% of the games in which they've been outshot. If it wasn't for Henrik Lundqvist, the Rangers would be such a glorious drama right about now, but, as it is, they're just a winning team with a pouting, underachieving superstar.
The Blueshirts are 1-3 in their last four games, scoring just five goals in those four games and connecting on just two of 15 power plays. Not surprisingly, #68 has just one point during this stretch, and is scoreless with a minus-seven rating in his last three games. Woe captain, my captain.
Expect Olie Kolzig in goal, Brian Pothier back in the lineup, and a confident Caps team to try to keep the ball rollin' at home.
Elsewhere 'Round the Rinks:
Thanks to Tyler for pointing us to this article about SKA St. Petersberg (Jamie Heward's current squad) and Russian current events.... Vote Weagle!... The Flyers are going to induct Ron Hextall into the team's Hall of Fame prior to a game against the Caps. Something tells me that Dale Hunter's Game Seven OT breakaway goal won't make his highlight montage.... Karl Alzner is at Canadian national junior team camp and is (surprise) giving great interviews.
- Hart: Joffrey Lupul (3G, 3A, +4, 12 SOG)
- Ross: Joffrey Lupul (6 points)
- Norris: Erik Johnson (3A, +3, 3 SOG, 2 hits)
- Vezina: Miikka Kiprusoff (32 saves on 33 shots against in shootout win)
- Richard: Joffrey Lupul, R.J. Umberger (3G each)
- Calder: Erik Johnson (3A, +3, 3 SOG, 2 hits)
- Aiken, Pt. I: Dany Sabourin (L, 5 goals allowed on 25 shots against in 39:56 of work)
- Aiken, Pt. II: Ty Conklin (3 goals allowed on 15 shots against in one period of work)
- Aiken, Pt. III: Rob Scuderi (0 points, -4)