[SeSo Open Thread]
That alarm clock went off pretty early this morning, didn't it?
After playing their best game in recent weeks Saturday night on the Island, the Caps took the midnight train to Georgia where they'll take on the Thrashers tonight at 7:00. Check out pre- and post-game analysis over at SeSo, and if you need alcohol and a support group to get you through the game, a bunch of bloggin' types (I believe I'll be among them) are gathering at the Hyatt by the VC to watch the game and make awkward conversation.
As for the Caps at this point of the season, I stumbled upon a post over at Hot Oil entitled "Top Ten Signs You're Actually An AHL Team." Let's take the test together, shall we?
10. The St. Louis Blues have more points than you. Check.
9. Toby Pederson is the only player who scores. Shaone Morrisonn and Milan Jurcina are tied with Alex Ovechkin for the team lead in points in March. Does that count?
8. Laddy Smid leads your team in minutes. It was Jurcina on Saturday night.
7. Only six of your skaters have a season of NHL play under their belt. I assume this is hyperbole, in which case my guess is that the Caps roster is probably even less experienced than the Oil's.
6. You've been outscored 24-5 in the last 6 games and you've lost 10 of your last 12 games. The Caps have lost 10 of their last 12 and have been outscored 28-13 in their last six games.
5. You don't have a farm team, so all your prospects just play on the NHL team. The Caps do have a sweet farm team where several prospects are currently developing. Huzzah!
4. Hot-Oil poster "Loxy" forgets that her hometown has a team. Um... check?
3. You're checking if it's mathematically possible for Philly to pass you in the standings. Sigh. I have. And it is.
2. You traded away Ryan Smyth. Nope. Dainius Zubrus, Richard Zednik, Jamie Heward and Lawrence Nycholat all put together would have difficulty carrying Captain Canada's jock (though that visual is pretty humorous).
1. You are the Edmonton Oilers. Nope - thankfully there are no multiple Stanley Cup Champion banners or recent Finals appearances in D.C.
So there you have it - the Caps, contrary to popular belief in some circles, are actually an NHL team.
At least they are by this metric.
- Hart: Teemu Selanne (2G, A, +2, 2 SOG)
- Ross: Teemu Selanne, Andy McDonald, Marc Savard, Marco Sturm, Sergei Zubov (3 points each)
- Norris: Sergei Zubov (3A, +2)
- Vezina: Evgeni Nabokov (22-save shutout)
- Richard: Teemu Selanne, Andy McDonald, Dustin Brown, Marco Sturm, Mikko Koivu (2G each)
- Calder: Jiri Hudler (G, A, +2, 2 SOG)
- Aiken: Dominik Hasek (L, 6 goals allowed on 25 shots against)