Is there a goalie controversy looming in New Jersey? No?
The Caps split the weekend home-and-home with the Devils, improbably beating Martin Brodeur in New Jersey, and perhaps predictably losing at home to his backup, Scott Clemmensen. Some thoughts on the weekend set:
- Muffins Gordon had a strong weekend, with a pair of assists on Saturday and a great job shutting down the Patrik Elias/Scott Gomez line both days. He'd have had himself a goal on Sunday, too, if he could have lifted the puck about eight inches.
- Brent Johnson was also sharp in both games, for the most part.
- John Erskine was not.
- Alex Semin did not play in the second-half of the third period Sunday. Injury? Benching? My guess is the latter, based on Glen Hanlon's postgame presser. Kid needs to distribute the puck some more and play with more passion.
- The VC public address crew needs to announce home goals quicker. It's hard to get excited and cheer for a tying-goal announcement when the opposition has just regained the lead before the announcement is made.
- That said, it was nice to see Alex Ovechkin score that game-tying goal on a very "AO" goal. Hopefully the floodgates will now open and he can get back in the Richard Trophy race.
- Though it's only been two games, Tomas Fleischmann looks more confident than he has in previous call-ups. I'm sure getting second-line (rather than fourth-line) duty has something to do with it.
- Reese Witherspoon is very attractive.
- Hart: Andy MacDonald (2G, A, +2, 7 SOG)
- Ross: Brad Richards (4 points)
- Norris: Scott Niedermayer (GWG, 2A, +2, 5 SOG, 3 hits, 3 takeaways, 0 giveaways)
- Vezina: Marty Turco (W, 1 goal allowed on 18 shots against in OT win)
- Richard: Andy MacDonald (2G)
- Calder: Travis Zajac (G, A, +2)
- Aiken: Eric Brewer (-4, 0 points, 0 hits, 0 takeaways)