Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Penguins Golden Boy Showered In... Praise?

I made mention of them the other day, but have now received an email from a gentleman claiming to be the evil genius behind Monday night's, um... pamphleteering:
As of about three years ago I began paying tribute to the Penguins by offering fans of both teams the ability to urinate on a "star". This year happened to be Sid with a small caption to entice those willing participants to aim more precisely.

I successfully placed these little pee-pics [pictured] in all the urinals at Verizon Center this past Monday night.
FYI, the "small caption" read "I'm Thirsty," and by "all the urinals," he means all the urinals, from the 100's to the 400's. As someone on the Caps message board noted, this would be a great new Versus ad - "Honey, what's Sidney Crosby doing in the urinal?" "Oh, he's just here to remind us that there's a game on Versus."

The "pee-pics" are fast on their way to becoming legend, thanks to tales like this one:
A Pens fan was in one of the upper level restrooms with a plastic bag from the concessions over his hand trying to pick them out of the urinal and still couldn't (while the Caps fans stood back and laughed at him).
Great story, but we all know that a real Pens fan - like this guy - wouldn't have needed the plastic bag.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Honey, what's Sidney Crosby doing in the urinal?"

"he's got about 1/1000 the charisma of ovechkin so he's trying to do something to distinguish himself"

"by drinking our urine?"

"hey, I'm not in PR"

Anonymous said...

I still can't believe how Penguins fans were offended. And trying to pick it out of the urinal? Wow...

I thought about it as objectively as I could, and I really think if the Pens had done this in their building with Ovechkin pics, I would have laughed and said, "man why couldn't we think of that?"

JP said...

And at no point would "I have to reach in and pull that picture out" have crossed my mind. Ever.

Really, the idea is great and the picture is fantastic, but "I'm Thirsty" elevates it to brilliance.

Anonymous said...

While at a Detroit Tigers game this summer; there was a B.J. Upton card in the urinal as well...

Anonymous said...

I'm a Pens fan who was at the game, and while I didn't like our star forward appearing at the bottom of a urinal, I have to give the effort praise for its creativity. I can't believe someone was picking them out. Have a sense of humor.

As for el mojito, you're an idiot. Crosby IS the new NHL. I know all 12 of you Caps fans want to make Ovechkin into a huge star, but the guy doesn't play with a fraction of the heart that Crosby does. And has even less creativity and vision.

Anonymous said...

Mario's Illegitimate Son said...

"As for el mojito, you're an idiot. Crosby IS the new NHL. I know all 12 of you Caps fans want to make Ovechkin into a huge star, but the guy doesn't play with a fraction of the heart that Crosby does. And has even less creativity and vision."

Dad, er, "Mario's Illegitimate Son", you'll get no arguemnt from me on any of these points - SC is a brilliant player (probably better than AO). And I'm definitly an idiot. Carefull analysis (I know you're a product of the PA educational system, so I'll give you sec) will reveal that I never said SC played with a lack of intesity or indeed was inferior to AO - I just said SC is a boring person.

He's not interesting and he doesn't strike me as personally electrifying or even smart.

He just isn't.

AO is radioactive, he's charming and he plays every game like it's his last.

I bet Crosby will score more points than AO every will - but I bet more kids will buy more AO jerseys in more countries and in more school districts.

Crosby is an awesomme player but a forgettable person.

AO is awesome.