Caps Quick Hits
The WaPo laments the Caps' power-play woes (hey, it could be worse - see Flames, Calgary) and reports on visits to Caps' practice from outer space and to Rico Fata's face from Ben Clymer's fists (sadly, the scrap was stopped before Clymer could inflict much damage). The WTimes takes time to proclaim that Alex Ovechkin is not hurt. Really. He's not. There must be some other reason he's not hitting anyone and isn't playing with the explosive first step to which we've all become accustomed.
Elsewhere 'Round the Rinks:
- Puckhead's Thoughts discusses an open letter from Ted Leonsis to Caps' fans on how to get more D.C. fannies in the seats at the Verizon Center. The only thing I'd add to his suggestions (win more games, get an African-American star on the team, etc.) is to give away more tickets. Fill-up your tank at an Exxon in D.C.? Get a ticket. Spend $500 at a downtown Safeway? Take your family to a game. Buy a 40 oz. at Capitol Hill Liquor? Ok, maybe not. Point being, I've hardly ever met anyone who's ever been to a hockey game that doesn't love it. The trick, of course, is getting them there in the first place. The larger point, though, is that the disposable income of people living within the city limits is obviously much less than that of their suburban counterparts. I wonder what the season-ticketholder breakdown for the Wizards looks like. In a sport that's far more popular in the inner city than hockey, I'd bet the STH breakdown looks alot more like that of the Caps than you'd think.
- Hart: Justin Williams (3G, including game-winner, A, +2, 2 hits)
- Ross: Justin Williams (4 points)
- Norris: Sami Salo (GWG, +1, 4 SOG, led team in shifts in 2-1 win)
- Vezina: Cam Ward (W, 34 saves on 35 shots against)
- Richard: Justin Williams (3 G)
- Calder: Travis Zajac (G, +1)
- Aiken: Marc Denis (L, 4 goals allowed on 19 shots against in just 2 periods of action)