Caps Quick Hits
From the WaPo, Alex Ovechkin is 100%. That's pretty much it. The WTimes has more, but likely only because they had nothing yesterday.
Via D.C. Sports Bog, this article which says the Caps could win the Cup by the end of the decade, but not this year. Let's see, with playoffs in the Spring and 2007 out and the decade over after 2009, that leaves next season or 2008-09. Sweet.
Terry Frei has Ovechkenvy and writes a love letter to him disguised as a non-rant on the NHL's silly scheduling. Oh, and there's no way "Ted Leonsis tires of trying to make a go of it in downtown Washington and moves the franchise to the other Washington." That was thoroughly covered here.
Thread of the Day:
- Everybody knows that the Buffalo Sabres are now 10-0-0. Not everyone knows that their AHL affiliate in Rochester is 7-0-0. Damn.
- I'm not generally in the business of giving out fantasy hockey advice, but here's a tip for you: by November 8, the Boston Bruins and Columbus Blue Jackets will have only played 12 games each. By contrast, the Florida Panthers played their 12th game last night and by the 8th of November will be 17 games into their 2006-07 season. Same with the L.A. Kings and other teams, I'm sure. So next week, approach that unsuspecting Patrice Bergeron or Nikolai Zherdev owner and ask him if he's grown tired of his guy's lack of production. Maybe you'll catch him asleep and get a steal.
- Umm... we needed a "high-tech study" to tell us this?
- Is it just me or is this promotion a little bit minor league? Follow-up: What's Mike Commodore doing promoting the Flyers? (Hat tip to Kukla on the link)
- Hart: Dany Heatley (3G, including GWG, +3, 5 SOG)
- Ross: Joe Corvo, Jason Spezza (5 points each)
- Norris: Joe Corvo (G, 4A, +3, 8 SOG)
- Vezina: Martin Brodeur (29-save shutout)
- Richard: Martin St. Louis, Dany Heatley (3G each)
- Calder: David LeNeveu (W, 32 saves on 34 shows against)
- Aiken: Andrew Raycroft (L, 7 goals allowed on 37 shots against)