The Roundup is back, albeit abbreviated, as I am nowhere near healthy.
The Caps took the train up to Manhattan yesterday for tonight's matchup with the struggling Rangers at the site of Gerry McNamara's latest awe-inspiring accomplishments. Aside from the collective "let's see how we measure up against a playoff-bound team" and "let's play spoiler" motivations heading into the game, there is added individual incentive tonight for Alexander Ovechkin (as if he's ever needed it) both to outshine fellow Calder candidate Henrik Lundqvist and to catch Jaromir Jagr, who he trails by one goal in the race for the Richard Trophy as the League's highest goal scorer. Perhaps, as was the case a week ago against that other rookie, a dominant performance by AO tonight can put a little breathing room between him and his Calder competition.
Thread of the Day: 2006 Draft Prospects, Of The Top 5...
Elsewhere 'round the rinks:
- James Mirtle has a good read on an About.com article entitled "A Late Push From The Crosby Campaign." Both the original source and the post it inspired are worth reading.
- Hart: Nicklas Lidstrom (Assists on all 3 Wings goals, +1, hit, takeaway, 0 giveaways)
- Ross: Nicklas Lidstrom (3 points)
- Norris: Nicklas Lidstrom (Assists on all 3 Wings goals, +1, hit, takeaway, 0 giveaways)
- Vezina: Robert Esche (27-save shutout win, assist)
- Richard: 13 players tied with 1
- Calder: R.J. Umberger (Goal, assist, +2)
- Aiken: Roberto Luongo (Loss, 3 goals against on 26 shots in 40 minutes before being pulled)