You already know about Alex Ovechkin's latest accolades. And if you've followed the youngster at all this year, you know that individual accolades mean next-to-nothing to this him. This latest round of praise is no different:
"I love score goals," he said. "[But] my first [responsibility] is help team win game. I must forget [the honors] and improve again, keep playing hard and working hard.""I love score goals." Priceless. Thanks to Tarik El-Bashir for helping along Alex's english in that quote, and for letting us know that AO plans to play on Friday against the Leafs.
In other news from 'round the rinks:
- The NHL had its best January, attendance-wise, in the League's 88-year history. While the numbers say nothing about revenue, they still are impressive.
- Chris Chelios has been named captain of Team USA for the Olympics.
- Late last night the Flames and Coyotes swung a deal, with Calgary sending backup goalie Phillippe Sauve and center Steve Reinprecht to the desert for backup goalie Brian Boucher and forward Mike Leclerc.
- Hart: Jonathan Cheechoo (3 goals, +3, 5 SOG, 2 hits, 2 blocked shots)
- Ross: Jonathan Cheechoo, Joe Thornton (3 points)
- Norris: Kyle McLaren (2A, +2)
- Vezina: Henrik Lundqvist (W, 24 saves on 25 shots against)
- Richard: Jonathan Cheechoo (3 goals)
- Calder: Henrik Lundqvist (W, 24 saves on 25 shots against)
- Aiken: Colby Armstrong (2 minor penalties, both of which led to Rangers goals in the Pens' 3-1 loss; on the ice for the third goal, scored shorthanded)