When you get 55 shots on goal in a game, you've gotta score more than two goals. When you get a 1:48 5-on-3 power-play, you've gotta score on it. When your stud gets a breakaway down a pair in the third, he's gotta bury it. When these things don't happen, you lose. Simple as that. I'm working on putting the finishing touches on the latest Carnival, so this roundup is a little more brief than usual. Here's the WaPo's recap, and here's the WTimes' (there was room on the internet for coverage of last night's Caps game. No word on whether the 'Skins/Cowboys' coverage precluded such coverage in the print editions).
And in case you missed it (I did, as I was out of town), GMGM says there's "no chance" Olie Kolzig will be dealt this year.
Stat of the Day: Alexander Ovechkin is the only player in the NHL in the top 25 in both scoring and hits.
- Hart: Roberto Luongo (W, 53 saves on 55 shots against)
- Ross: Several players tied with 2 points
- Norris: Scott Niedermayer (G, A, +2)
- Vezina: Roberto Luongo (W, 53 saves on 55 shots against)
- Richard: Joe Sakic, Grant Stevenson (2G each)
- Calder: Vitaly Kolesnik (W, 29 saves on 30 shots against, A)
- Aiken: Nikolai Khabibulin (L, 5 goals against on 20 shots)