The Caps entered the third period of Sunday's game with Buffalo down a goal (a minor miracle after being outshot 21-11 through two periods - thanks, Olie Kolzig) and after killing off an early penalty would have the benefit of the game's last three power plays (including two in the last seven minutes). But they didn't score on any of the three, and in fact allowed the eventual game winner to be scored on them shorthanded. The team was clearly tired from Saturday night's marathon followed by a return home and a mid-afternoon start, but there really is no excuse for dropping a game that was gift-wrapped for you so plainly late.
The Caps now find themselves in the midst of their longest losing streak of the season (four games) and are off until Thursday when they'll visit the Panthers in Miami. The WaPo's recap of last night's game can be found here, WTimes' here.
Elsewhere around the League:
- Former Cap Steve Konowalchuk is out for the year with a wrist injury. Get well soon, Kono.
- The most understated headline of the day goes to TSN.ca: Blues Playoff Streak In Jeopardy. Uh, yeah, you could say that, considering the Caps have twice as many wins.
- If you haven't seen Marek Malik's shootout game winner from Saturday night, you really owe it to yourself to check it out here.
- Hart: Ilya Kovalchuk (2G, 2A, +1 in 5-2 win over Carolina)
- Ross: Ilya Kovalchuk (2G, 2A)
- Norris: Steve Eminger (G)
- Vezina: Ilya Bryzgalov (W, 34 saves on 35 shots against, continuing a banner night for Ilyas)
- Richard: Ilya Kovalchuk, Fredrik Modin, Joe Sakic (2G each)
- Calder: Tomas Vanek (G, 5 shots on goal)
- Aiken: Alex Auld (L, 6 goals against on 36 shots)
- Last games: Way back on Thursday I tried to shake my recent slump by picking contrary to my gut. Well guess what - it worked. I correctly picked the Rangers and Preds as winners and narrowly missed the Canucks/Sharks game. Current Record: 7-10.
- Tonight's games: Only two games on the NHL schedule tonight, and since picking against my instincts worked well last time out, I'll do it again on these two, picking the Panthers to beat the Leafs 3-1 and the Wings to win in Los Angeles 5-4.