Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Wednesday Roundup/Gamenight: Caps @ Canes

Not much to report from Capland today - prep for tonight's game at Carolina, etc. But one question I've been wondering about for days has been answered: Caps captain Jeff Halpern will not play in tonight's game, instead choosing to observe Kol Nidre, the beginning of the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur, with his family in Potomac. Said Halpern of his decision, "it's too important to me, my family and the community that has supported me, not to participate." Of course his religion is none of my business, but it is always great to see a highly respected member of a community represent, take pride in, and embrace that community and to that end, I couldn't be happier with his decision. Now maybe the Caps can go out an win one for the Kippur (sorry, I know that was terrible).

Dave Fay discusses the financial difficulties that Alex Semin's team Lada Togliatti is having and what it might mean for Sasha's near future in Washington. Fay quotes this interview with Lada GM Sergei Mikhalev and this interview with Alex Ovechkin ("What news! It'd be cool if Sasha comes over! I'm sure he would be a help for Washington."), but probably submitted his article before this one, in which Semin said he'll be with Lada at least through November, appeared. Will the saga never end? Update: TSN.ca has picked up on this story, but adds nothing new.

Daily Awards
By the way, the Flyers are in last place in the Eastern Conference. How sweet is that? Sure, it won't last, but Robert Esche has got to be hearing increasingly loud footsteps.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll say it again (and come back to eat my words if it changes), Semin isn't coming. GMGM is wasting his time pursuing this guy. He could be spending his time trying to sign Doig (just kidding). ;-)

Go Caps!

JP said...

I don't think GMGM is wasting much time at all pursuing Semin. In fact, the article questions whether the Caps even want him back at this point. Personally, I'd just like some closure one way or the other on this issue.