Finally, after three days rest, the Caps get to play again, heading down to Sunrise for a pre-Wilma date with the Cats. Three days may not seem like a lot, but after that great win against Tampa, I'm sure Glen Hanlon and the boys wouldn't have minded going right back out there and playing a doubleheader. Instead they got half a week off. At this point I expect the Caps to be only slightly less rusty than the White Sox bullpen. Goodbye momentum, hello Roberto Luongo.
Today's WaPo has a piece on "whole package" Dainius Zubrus, part slick offensive force, part shut-down defender, part mentor, part injury-prone disappointment (ok, the article doesn't mention that last one). The WTimes states that Alexander Semin is now once again likely to stay in Russia. Keep reading the Times next week: Dave Fay will have articles claiming Semin to be en route to D.C., in a gulag in Siberia, spotted at MCCXXIII, and finally enshrined in Lenin's tomb.
- Hart: Craig Conroy (Game winning goal with 59 seconds left capping LA comeback from down 4-1, 3A, +3)
- Ross: Craig Conroy (G, 3A)
- Norris: Filip Kuba (G, +4)
- Vezina: Rick DiPietro (W, 33 saves on 35 shots against, stopped all 3 shooters in shootout)
- Richard: Pavol Demitra, Ian Laperriere (2G each)
- Calder: Derek Boogaard (Game winning goal, +1, 9 PIMs including a fighting major)